Onion is used in many soups, recipes, salads either cooked or raw. But the onion peel is used? No, the outer 2 thin layers are thrown in the composite bin.
- Because you does not know, that onion outer skin is very much used and is good for health as well.
- The outer layer of fruits and vegetables are more nutritious and healthier than inner part or pulp Outer skin provides a good source of plant compounds called Flavonoids and Quercetin.
- It also contains Vitamin E, PP, C, carotene, calcium, iron and potassium.
Quercetin is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant compounds which controls B.P, lowers LDL cholesterol, fights allergies, fights depression, enhances muscle growth and treats cancer.
In a recent study, there was proved that, as plants can’t move around and defend themselves, they build protective layers around them and they contain compounds which are used to de-stress for humans.
Note : Thoroughly wash the skin with lemon or vinegar otherwise, the pesticides would also be part of your diet. This is not purely for pregnant and breast-feeders.
Onion skin for cooking :
Add onion skin the soup, while boiling, let all the nutrients gets absorbed in the soup and strain.
Treats blood pressure :
Take onion skin and steep it in hot water for 10 minutes. Take this water daily to treat hypertension. Your blood pressure is treated and minimized.
Heals leg cramps :
Boil the onion skin for 20 minutes in water. Let the water extract all the juice from onion. Drink it as tea daily before going to bed. The result will be visible within 1 week.
For hair growth:
- Take 2-3 onion peels.
- Boil it in low flame up to 20 mins.
- Strain aside and take the onion peel juice.
- Take equal proportions of brandy.
- Add chopped red pepper in to it.
- Apply it on to the roots of hair.
- Repeat this once in a week.
Menstruation cycle :
- It regulates and brings back to the track of regular menstrual cycle.
- This treatment must be started after 10 days of periods.
- Take 300 ml and add onion peel.
- Boil them for 20 mins Drink it by mixing honey in it.
- This must be drunk 3 times a day for one week.
For good sleep :
It gives a good night sleep. Simply prepare the tea and have it before going to bed, you will be having sound sleep.
- Take some peels of onion skin.
- Pour boiling water in it and cover it.
- Soak it for 15 minutes.
- Strain it and have it with some honey.
Gives hair color :
Onion peels are the best hair color naturally giving you brown and golden brown color.
- Just take few peels and boil it in a bowl full of water.
- Boil for 30 mins.
- Let it cool for overnight Next day morning strain and apply from scalp to tip of the hair.
- Leave it for 30 mins and wash off with shampoo.
- Your hair will turn shiny and with golden brown color.
Keeps mosquitoes, flies away from house :
Soak the onion peels in the water and place them outside the house doors and windows. Mosquitoes, flies, etc., would not enter the house due to its pungent smell.
Prevents dry scalp and dandruff:
- As said in the above recipes.
- Take full glass of water, add half glass of peels.
- Boil until the juice extracts for 20 mins and cover the lid.
- After cooling add 2 tbsp of glycerols.
- Rub the mixture everyday for effective results.
Treats varicose veins :
- It is a proved medicinal remedy where it treated varicose veins effectively with onion peels.
- Take 100 ml of vodka.
- Add 2 tbsp of crushed dry onion peels.
- Let it soak for a week and this becomes the perfect tincture.
- Start taking 20 drops of this tonic, 2-3 times per day for 10 days.
Cures cold and nose blockage :
- Take a bowl of water and add 4 tbsp of crushed onion peels.
- Let the color sit in the water.
- Start inhaling over steam for 5 mins.
- This gives an instant relief from nose blockage.
Prevents dry cough :
No need of any outside tonic, as this one will surely gets rid from dry cough.
- Take 2 cups of water and add 2 tbsp of onion peels.
- Let them boil in medium flame.
- Let it cool and strain it.
- Have 1/4 cup of tonic 3 times a day.
- Take before 30 mins of food.
Makes skin beautiful :
- Take onion peel paste, add drops of neem oil and 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Mix it well and apply on the face.
- Leave it for 30 mins and wash off with lukewarm water.
- This must be done at night before going to bed.
- It will cleanse the pores and tightens the skin.
Bottom line :
So, after reading this article, make the best use of onion peels rather than throwing them in the dust bin, because peels have more nutritious compounds than flesh of fruits and veggies.