Nose bleeding looks horrifying and gets insane, when it is suddenly seen. nose bleeding occurs in the winter and summer season too. Nose bleeding is one of the most delicate matter, which must be handled safely.
The tiny blood vessels in the nose are very delicate and are close to the lining surface and starts bleeding when it gets disturbed. Usually bleeding occurs only from one nostril and some time from both the nostrils. Nose bleeding is of two types anterior and posterior nose bleeding.
Anterior nose bleeding is the one, where bleeding happens when front blood vessels in the front nose rupture. Posterior nose bleeding happens, when the blood vessel at the back of the nose gets damaged, then bleeding starts. The bleeding starts flowing from throat to the mouth, even if you stand or sit. ( Read: Warnings and Causes of Heart attack)
Nose bleeding can happen to anyone from the age of 2 to 80, which lasts from 10 seconds to 2 minutes.
What causes nose bleeding?
Nose bleeding occurs due to lot of factors like
- Living in a hot temperature, this leads to drying out of mucous membranes
- Dry and heat air, which dry out the nasal membranes, which are cracked and leads to nose bleeding
- Repeatedly sneezing, coughing, sinusitis, harsh nose blowing
- Use of cocaine
- Use of allergic and harsh nasal sprays
- Ulceration, polyps, inflammation can also lead to nose bleed. (Read: How to avoid Swine flu)
How to prevent nose bleeding?
- Stop smoking and avoid alcohol intake
- Stop your fingers from letting in the nostrils, if your fingers are not clean, then that leads to irritation and bleed heavily
- Always sneeze by opening mouth wide open, because, when you close your mouth, the pressure builds on the nostrils and blood vessels
- Use humidifiers while sleeping, it does not gets nostrils dried up
How to stop nose bleed?
The first step is to stay calm and relax. Many of us gets tensed or hyper by seeing nose bleed. Just relax and lean forward, because, it’s been experienced that, the calmer we stay, the bleeding stops that rapidly.
Never lean back:
Lean back or sleeping will make the blood flow from the throat and mouth. Leaning back also worsen the case and starts heavy bleeding. (Read: How to Avoid Back pain)
After staying cool and calm the next step is to.
- Sit upright, lean a bit forward, your face must be a little forward than your heart
- With thumb and index finger, pinch the soft part of your nostrils
- Hold tightly the soft part for 10 min
- Breath through your mouth
- Holding tightly will stop bleeding.
Relaxing and apply cold compress with ice cubes can make a lot of difference.
- Just take a cloth
- Drop some cubes and wrap the cloth
- Now apply and press the cloth on the bridge of the nose for 10 min
- Slightly lean back, while doing this.
Applying cold compress initially stops nose bleeding to the larger extent.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
ACV is the one, which help from nose bleeding, closes the broken blood vessel walls.
- Take small amount of ACV and soak it in cotton ball
- Now slowly place the cotton ball on the bleeding part
- Let it stay for 10 min
- Take 2 tsp of ACV
- Add in a glass of lukewarm water
- Drink it for 3 times per day.
The age old ancient technique for nose bleeding is onion. The fumes of the onion helps in stop bleeding
- Just cut half of the onion
- Place it below the nostril
- Inhale the smell of the onion
- Nose bleeding will stop instantly (Read: Onion Skin benefits)
- Just take the juice of the onion
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in juice
- Now slowly place it on the affected part
- Leave it for 10 min
Cayenne powder :
Cayenne is the one thing among the many which instantly stops nose from bleeding. It controls the blood flow and forms a layer in stopping it.
- Take 1 tsp of cayenne powder
- Mix it in warm water and drink it
- You can also add some pepper for taste
Do these as you suffer from nose bleed
The mucus and nasal membranes in the nose often tend to dry up, which leads to cracking and finally nose bleeding. Keep your nose moisturized by taking saline water
- Take some water and add to it pinch of salt
- With the help of a syringe, extract the water
- Now spray in one of the nostril, closing the other nostril
- Keep your head low, while doing this. (Read: Benefits of Cucumber water drink)
Witch Hazel :
The tannin present in it will help in constrict the blood vessels from bleeding.
- Take a cotton ball
- Dab some witch hazel on to it
- Place it inside the nostrils for 5 min and remove it.
Cypress oil or Lemon oil Compress :
These oil contains anti-bacterial, antiseptic properties, which helps in fighting the infections and stops bleeding in the nose
- Add 4-5 drops of essential oil in cold water
- Take a cloth and soak it in the diluted water
- Now take out the water, squeeze out the excess water
- Compress the cloth on the nose and press is it for about 5 min
Pomegranate juice :
One of the ancient old technique is drinking Pomegranate juice. According to ayurveda, by drinking or just dropping few drops in the nose, can also helps to stop nose bleeding.