In the previous article, we have discussed about acne – causes, prevention. In this article lets talk about natural home remedies for acne. These simple remedies gives us a soothing relief on the face and acne too. (Read: Baking soda for acne)
Natural Home remedies for acne
1. Baking soda :
Baking soda has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes the skin, helps in pores opening up and kicking off the blackheads from the skin. However baking soda is not recommended by doctors, as it can remove natural oils from the face. It can be used only to the minimal extent that is on one’s own risk. (Read: Baking soda for acne)
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- 2 Tea spoons of lemon juice.
Preparation time: 10 mins
- Take 2 tbsp of baking soda.
- Add water.
- Take 2 tspn of lemon juice.
- Make it a thick paste.
- Apply it on the affected area, leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash off.
- Apply moisturiser immediately as baking soda has tendency to make skin dry.
2. Lemon juice :
Lemon juice contains citric acid which works as astringent and antiseptic on the acne. It is very cheap and kills the bacteria. (Read: Benefits of lemon water with turmeric)
- 1 Lemon.
- One Bowl.
- Rose Water.
- Cotton balls.
Prep time : 5 minutes.
- Take a lemon, cut it into two slices.
- Squeeze it in to a bowl.
- Add rose water to it.
- Take a cotton ball, dip in it.
- Apply on to your face.
- After 20 minutes wash off with lukewarm water.
you might get light burning sensation, but that’s quite common. If the stinging is high, gently massage with water. The acidic nature in the lemon works on the face and rose water gives you a soothing effect.
3. Apple cider vinegar :
The acetic, lactic, citric and succin acid present in vinegar kills the bacteria, maintains the pH balance of the skin. It totally disappears the scars, redness and dark spots on the skin. It usually gives a drying effect on the face, that’s why do not mix lemon to it, as skin may become more dry.(Read: Tips for anaemia)
- 1 bowl
- 2 tablespoons of applecidar vinegar
- 1cup of water
Prep time: 5 mins
- Take 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Dilute it properly.
- Take this solution in a bottle.
- Sprinkle on the affected areas or dab with cotton ball.
- Wash your face in the morning.
- Apply moisturizer.
4. Green Tea :
Internally Green tea helps in reducing weight or belly fat but externally it acts as fighter to fight acne. Green tea contains antioxidant and antimicrobial compounds to reduce acne. (Read: Benefits of green tea)
- 1 cooled cup of green tea.
Prep time : 5 mins
- Take a cooled cup of green tea.
- Use as face wash or
- Place the green tea bag on the affected areas or
- Pour the green tea in a sprinkler and sprinkle all over the face.
- Wash it off after 20 minutes.
This gives soothing affect on the acne.
Mint helps in digestion and is a pimple reliever with no scars or dark spots left behind. You can apply directly the fresh mint leaves paste on the face, after drying just wash off. (Read: Benefits of Tulsi Leaves)
6. Mint pack :
- 1/2 cup of mint.
- 2 tablespoons of yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal powder.
Prep time : 10 mins.
- Take 1/2 cup of mint,
- 2 tbsp of yogurt and oatmeal powder.
- Make a fine paste of mint.
- Add yogurt and oatmeal powder to this paste.
- Whisk properly.
- Apply this pack on the face.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and wash off.
7. Papaya :
We have papaya face packs, we know papaya is good for health and we eat a lot. Papaya contains an enzyme called papain which prevents the pus from forming. It generally stops extra oil in forming on the skin and keeps the skin soft and smooth, giving a young look. we can feel the freshness of the skin.(Read: Benefits of papaya)
- 1 papaya
- 1 bowl
Prep time : 15 mins
- Take one papaya Peel off and take 1/4th part of papaya’s flesh.
- Mash it properly till the paste is made.
- Keep the paste on the face for 10-20 minutes.
- Gently massage and wash face with lukewarm water.
8. Orange peel mask :
Orange peel works exceptionally well. The citric acid, vitamin c and astringent properties removes the dead skin cells, open clog pores, stops excess oil, works as natural scrubber. (Read: Coffee Face masks for glowing skin)
- 1 bowl.
- 2 orange peels.
Prep time : 15 mins
- Take 2 orange peels.
- Make it paste by adding water into it.
- Shouldn’t much liquidify.
- Firstly wash your face before applying.
- Apply the mask with pat dry face.
- Gently massage after 20 minutes Wash with lukewarm water.
9. Aloevera :
Aloevera acts on oil skin and acne as well. Nowadays every house is planted with aloevera’s due to its medicinal values. (Read: Tips for skin pigmentation)
- 1/2 aloe vera leaf.
Prep time : 15 mins.
- Take gel with the help of the spoon or knife from aloevera leaf.
- Apply on the affected parts.
- Wash off after 30 mins.
- This soothes the skin fights with acne effectively.
10. Banana peel :
Yes, banana peel. Do you know every part of banana tree is helpful and contains medicinal values so is banana peel. It contains lutein and antioxidants which prevents acne and redness on the face. (Read: Tips for Mosquito bites)
- Banana peel.
- Firstly wash your face properly.
- Take one banana peel.
- Gently rub on the face.
- After the dryness is felt or after 30 minutes.
- wash off with warm water.
11. Tooth paste :
Tooth paste! yes you heard it right. Toothpaste works on acne and many use it too. Tooth paste contains the chemical triclosan, which helps in preventing the pimple. But doctors strictly oppose this treatment, as toothpaste contains harmful chemicals which are harsh on skin.
- Pinch of Toothpaste
- Take a small amount of paste on the affected area.
- Leave it overnight.
- Wash off in the morning with lukewarm water.
- The pimple may disappear in 2-3 days.
- But do it on your own risk.
These remedies are very effective for getting rid of acne. I used lemon juice for treating my acne and it worked great for me. My skin looks clear and healthy now. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Amanda for sharing your thoughts. please go through the other remedies of health care as well
Baking soda, lemon and all these are best remedies to treat acne prone skin. I have used baking soda to treat my face acne and I have seen a noticeable improvement in acne within a couple of weeks. Thanks for such a great article.