How does it looks if you get dressed up like an angel and your hair is messed up like noodles, with
hair waving in the air. Dry hair looks frizzy, dull and horrible to look at. Shiny and smooth are the
signs of healthy hair. Keeping your dry hair in the track of healthy hair is a long term process, which
Causes for dry hair :
Our hair becomes dry, when scalp couldn’t produce enough oil or when hair does not retain the
moisture. (Read: coffee benefits for beautiful hair)
In this type of thyroid, body does not produce thyroid hormones, which in turn
leads to hair loss and dry hair.
In this condition also, parathyroid hormones in the neck are released very
less, which leads to calcium deficiency.
- Calcium deficiency is one of the causes of dry hair.
- Using harsh soaps and shampoos to hair.
- Exposing to sun, dirt and pollution.
- Excessive uses of hair driers and dying to hair.
- Swimming in high chlorinated water.
- Genetically, if your forefathers are suffering from, then you have the possibilities.
- Going through high doses of medications
Tips for dry hair
- Drink plenty of water as our entire body including hair needs water to retain moisture.
- Cover your hair with hat or scarf if going out.
- Use conditioner based shampoos.
- Try to reduce the head baths, minimize it to 2.
- Avoid hair straightners and hair colors.
- Avoid swimming or try to swim in low chlorinated water and wear a bath cap.
- Apply coconut or almond or olive or jojoba oil once in a week to retain moisture. (Read: Tips for dry lips)
Simple home remedies for dry hair
Applying coconut oil :
Coconut oil contains anti-microbial properties, lauric acid, and medium-chain fatty acids, which helps hair to grow long, strong healthy and shiny. (Read : Coconut oil benefits)
How to apply ?
- Take 3 tbsp of coconut oil and warm it up.
- apply the oil from the scalp to tips.
- Leave it for 3 hrs or overnight and apply shower caps.
- Apply shampoos with conditioner.
- This is to be done thrice in a week for healthy and shiny hair.
Massage with butter :
- Take a piece of butter. Rub it on the hair and leave for 30 mins.
- Wash the hair with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Let the hair absorb the oiliness and butteries on the hair. (Read: Simple yoga poses)
Egg yolk :
Egg yolk contains protein, which nourishes and makes hair shiny. (Read: Hair masks for hair growth)
How to apply ?
- Take 2 egg whites and beat it until it gets the liquid form.
- Apply it from root to the tip.
- Leave it for 30 mins and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Next day apply shampoo.
- Repeat this process, twice in a week for hair conditioning.
- Egg white not only helps in nourishing hair, but strengthens hair growth, prevents hair fall.
Apply beer or beer shampoo :
- Beer is not only for drinking but applying on hair too. It
- conditions hair and thus prevents dry hair.
- Take 2 cups of beer in 4 cups of beer.
- Dilute well and apply on the hair.
- Leave for 30 mins and wash off with shampoo and lukewarm water. (Read: Remedies for white hair)
Honey mask :
Applying Honey to the hair, conditions and leaves hair smooth and shiny. (Read: Hair loss remedies)
- Take 2 tbsp of honey.
- Add 2 tsp of coconut/olive/jojoba/almond oil in it.
- Mix it well.
- Dilute it with some water and apply on the hair.
- Leave it for 30 mins and wash off with shampoo.
- Repeat this process once a week for effective results.
Aloe vera gel :
- Take aloevera, cut it vertically and remove gel from the leaves of it. (Read: Remedies for Dandruff)
- Extract the gel, add coconut oil and honey to it.
- Mix it well and apply on the hair.
- Apply it from scalp to tip.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Next day wash with shampoo.
- This should be done twice a week.
Banana hair mask :
- Take one ripe banana. Cut it to pieces and mash it properly.
- Apply the banana paste on the hair and leave for 45 mins.
- Wash off with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- This shall be done twice a week. (Read: Tips for Stretch marks)
Note: Banana has the properties of hair repairing and from hair damage.
Fenugreek helps from hair fall, protects hair from pollution and from drying of hair.
- Take 4 cups of fenugreek seeds.
- Soak overnight and make it paste.
- Apply the paste from scalp to hair.
- Leave it for 30 mins and wash off.
- Shampoo the next day with lukewarm water.
- This give 100% effective results.
Rice water :
- Soak the rice for 30 mins.
- Set aside the water.
- Apply the rice water on hair and leave for 1 hr. (Read: Side effects of banana with milk)
- Wash off with cold water.
- You can do this trick daily.
By rinsing rice water to the hair, it gives a silky and smooth hair.
Henna conditioner :
- Take 5 tbsp of henna.
- Add to it curd, lemon, egg white, coffee powder or tea decoction.
- Apply all these and set aside. Let it rest overnight.
- Apply henna on the hair and not on scalp.
- Leave it for 1 hr.
- Wash off with water.
- Next day apply shampoo.
- Do this once in 15 days.
Note : The next day of shampooing, apply warm coconut oil to the scalp, so that the pores
Bottom line :
Dry hair is difficult to face. It can be solved but takes time. These home
remedies are effective and gives desired results.
I am having nightmares with dry and frizzy hair and combating with this condition since years now. I tried several products for a while but nothing seems to be working. Thanks to you for sharing these amazing piece of information on the home remedies for dry and frizzy and will definitely give these a try. I am glad I came across this article. Thank you so much for sharing.