If the baby is crying we think of baby might be hungry or got hurt. But the most basic reason why baby cries, specially during night times is of wet diapers. The diapers when becomes more wet, are prone to allergic and becomes rash, and this is called as diaper rash.
- Diaper rash appears on the baby’s bottom, thighs, genital areas in red scales. Diaper rash or diaper dermatitis is the common skin problem which is encountered in infants and kids as well.
- Diaper rash when is over looked, it turns into yeast infection or secondary fungal called candidiasis
- When the red rash is spread on the thighs and abdomen, with big red bumps these are called as satellite lesions.
What are the reasons for diaper rash?
- Tight diaper
- Over loaded with urine, stool and kept for long time
- When the skin is sensitive
- Diapers used for prolonged period
Tips for diaper rash:
- Cover the area with cotton cloth, for some time
- Give a gap between diapers and cotton clothes, so that the area must dry for some time
- While changing the diaper, clean the area with baby wipes or soft cloth
- Apply powder while putting on the diapers
- If using clothes, instead of diapers, wash and rinse it thoroughly with hot water, so that the detergents gets off quickly, as the baby skin is sensitive
Home Remedies For Diaper Rash:
Coconut oil contains moisturising, anti bacterial properties and antioxidants, which works on diaper rash and removes it totally. It soothes on the skin rash and makes smooth plain and soft.
- After bathing, wash the bottom area of the baby.
- Dab coconut oil under genital area, and back
- Now wrap the diaper
- Do this at least twice a day
It is one of the oldest remedy, used since from ages, recommended by grand ma’s. Breast milk contains anti-yeast and fungal properties, which avoids infection and rash.
- Dab some breast milk on the rash and leave to dry on its own
- You can also dab some breast milk on the diapers
Apple Cider Vinegar:
ACV contains anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and antioxidants, which fights against infections, prevents bacteria, fungus and rash from forming on the skin.
- Take 1 cup of warm water
- Soft cotton cloth
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- Dilute water with ACV
- Soak the cloth in the solution
- Squeeze the cloth and wipe on the baby bottom
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly:
It contains healing properties, which heals and cures the diaper rash. It restricts from forming of rash on the skin.
- After bath, apply a thin layer of jelly to the skin
- Do this whenever you change the diaper
Shea butter contains moisturising, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties, which moisturises s kin and heals them. It initially removes rashes and also pain caused due to it
- Clean the bottom area
- Apply some shea butter and wrap a cloth
- Do it twice a day
Aloe vera contains healing and moisturising properties, which heals and moisturise the skin. It kills the bacteria, fungus and other skin infections on the skin, which reduces and avoids rashes.
- Scoop out the freshly aloe vera gel
- Apply on the rash and skin
Baking soda removes dead skin cells, contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which removes the rash and fights skin problems.
- Take 1 cup of baking soda
- Add in 1 tub of water
- Dilute it and wash the area with solution
- Let it dry on its own
Yogurt contains anti-inflammatory properties, which moisturises skin and heals rash. Take sugar free and plain yogurt.
- Wash and clean the bottom area
- Apply the plain yogurt on the area and let it dry on its own
- After drying wash off with cool water
- Do this at least once in a day
Oat Meal :
Oatmeal contain compound called saponin, which removes dirt and rash from the skin. It removes heat, inflammation, irritation from the skin.
- Take 1 cup of oat meal
- Add it in tub of water and dilute it
- Make your baby soak in the water for 10 min
- Wipe off the area with baby wipes or soft cloth
If the severity persists, then its better to consult doctor as soon as possible, so that the baby, does not suffer.