There has been debate since from years, whether hard water is safe or soft water. According united health organisation(UNO), hard water is found to be safe and healthy for drinking. Apart from drinking, it is used for laundry, cooking and washing. But does hard water works on skin and hair too?
Hard water contains high levels of magnesium and calcium which are good for bones, cooking, drinking, bathing, laundry and washing utensils. But magnesium and calcium does not work for hair and skin. Hard water picks up the magnesium, deposits of soil, lime stones, and makes it hard. It makes skin more dry, leads to dry skin, acne, open pores, irritation, eczema and dark skin. Hard water does not allow soap lather to come out luxuriously, sits on the skin, blocks the pores, outburst acne and dark skin. Hard water makes hair dry and frizzy
Soft water exchanges levels of magnesium and calcium, replaced with sodium, which is good to skin and hair. It makes hair and skin soft and smooth.
How To Fight With Hard Water For Acne?
When hard water touches the skin, the soap residue sits on the skin, making the skin more sensitive, dry and leading to acne.
- Opt for distilled or bottled water to wash your face. Soft water makes skin soft, by not allowing the lather of the soap to sit on the skin
- Wash your face, back and neck after you take head bath thoroughly, because, the dust particles does not easily gets rid off.
- Do not bath with hot water as it makes skin more sensitive and dry
- Apply moisturizer, immediately after bath.
How to Make Hard Water Soft For Skin?
- Take tap water, boil it and let it cool. Take the warmth water and place it in the fridge. Let it cool and wash your face. This process makes skin less sensitive.
- Take ¼ of baking soda and add in bucket full of water. Minerals in water gets settled down and water is softened.
Hard Water Skin Care Regime:
When we wash your face with soft water, you take care, but when it comes to hard water, you need to take extra care and regime. Follow the simple skin care process, to make your skin glowing and beautiful
- Exfoliate: exfoliate your skin twice in a week. Scrub your face with scrubber, as it removes the dirt and dead skin cells from the skin
- Moisturize: over rinsing of skin, makes skin dry, itchy and scaly. Right after bath, apply moisturiser. Hydrated skin makes skin soft. Apply moisturiser in the morning and night also. If not having moisturiser, apply coconut oil or any other body, to make body moisturised and soft. Avoid non alcoholic toner and toners with heavy metals in it. Use ceramide containing moisturising cream, as it forms the layer on the skin, to protect from hard water
- Choose products wisely: choose mild cleansers and products for sensitive skin. Apply cleanser quite often, to maintain skin care regime.
How To Take Care Of Hair From Hard Water?
Hard water contains magnesium and calcium which makes hair dry, itchy scalp and leads to hair fall.
- Opt for chelating shampoo to your hair.
- Chelating shampoo contains ingredients, that works on magnesium and calcium, which rinses them away from the hair.
- Otherwise go for sulphate free shampoo. See to it your shampoo contains, citric acid, sodium phytate, EDTA”, or Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetate
- Add 0.5 oz of aluminium sulphate to your water bucket. Minerals gets settled down underneath and wash your face with the water as the water becomes soft.
Remedies For Hard Water
Install water softening unit:
In the recent times we have many water softening unit, which is used for softening water. It is a whole unit which can be fixed in the kitchen or anywhere in the home. It is expensive.
Opt for shower head:
Filter shower heads are less expensive, handy and easily replaceable by anyone. Shower filters are fitted to the showers, where the hard water is softened.
Apply apple cider vinegar:
Add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of water. After hair bath, wash your hair with this mixture. Leave it for 10 min and wash off. Washing your hair with ACV, leaves hair, silky shine and lump.
Apply organ oil:
Apply organ oil after post hair bath. Organ oil gives your silk, soft and shiny.
if you go out, at gym or hotel and has soft water, then don’t miss the chance to take bath. Avoid hard water to the maximum.