Children require a range of nutrients for proper growth and development. While most parents focus on macronutrients like protein and carbohydrates, micronutrients like vitamins and minerals are equally important. However, given the deteriorating quality of food and the fact that many children are fussy writers, it may become necessary to get a good multivitamin for kids in India in order to fulfil this nutritional gap.
The Most Important Vitamins and Minerals for Kids
The nutritional requirements of children are different from adults. First, the amount of nutrients required each day is lower with children. Second, children need specific nutrients in larger amounts for optimal growth and development. Here is a list of vital vitamins and minerals that you should look for in vitamin supplements for kids:
- Calcium: For stronger bones and teeth, children need a good intake of calcium. Ensuring that your child gets ample calcium at a younger age is highly beneficial in preventing bone loss at an older age.
- Iron: Iron is necessary for the production of haemoglobin. This helps carry oxygen to different parts of the body, keeping the child feeling energetic all day.
- Vitamin B: B-vitamins, particularly Vitamin B12 helps in building the cardiovascular system and the nervous system. They also help in boosting metabolism and overall bodily functions.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E boosts immunity, keeping children free from common health issues like flu, cough and cold.
- Vitamin D: Without ample vitamin D intake, the calcium derived from the diet is of no use. Children require a balance of Vitamin D and Calcium in their vitamin supplements for kids in order to develop stronger bones and teeth/
Do Children Need Multivitamin Supplements?
Normally, vitamin supplements for kids are not necessary if they are able to consume a balanced diet. Experts advise that children get their micronutrient intake from natural food sources like dairy, grains, fruits and vegetables.
Some experts also believe that it is possible to fulfil the vitamin and mineral intake even with fussy children. Since most foods like juices and cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals, children have multiple sources. However, these foods are very high in sugar and are heavily processed. They are not ideal to include in large quantities in your little one’s diet.
With over 21 vitamins and minerals required for the body, it can become a challenge to ensure that your child consumes the daily required intake for each of them. This is when vitamin supplements for kids become necessary. However, they are only effective when combined with a diet that is rich in fresh produce and natural foods.
When Do Children Need Multivitamin Supplements
There are some conditions when children may require vitamin supplements for kids. Here are two straightforward signs that indicate that the child is not getting ample nutrition:
- The child is lethargic and fatigued all day.
- The child does not develop as needed for his or her age.
There are many reasons why your child is unable to get optimum nutrition:
- He or she is a fussy eater: Fussy eaters often suffer from nutritional deficiencies. Supplements are a reliable option to ensure that they do not miss out on vital nutrients. They are easier to consume and have the necessary concentration of these nutrients.
- Chronic food allergies: If the child is unable to process certain nutrients, then vitamin supplements for kids are the only available option to make sure that they get the daily required micro-nutrient intake. For example, most children suffer from lactose intolerance. With dairy being a primary source of calcium, they may require an additional supplement in order to get the benefits of this nutrient.
- Existing deficiency-related health issues: In case of any chronic nutrient deficiencies, they manifest in the form of various health issues. For instance, anaemia, which is very common in children, is the result of inadequate iron intake. In these cases, the doctor may prescribe certain multivitamin tablets that help restore the balance of these nutrients in the child’s body.
- The child’s physical activity is more intense: Children who are athletic or indulge in physically strenuous activity like dance need a slightly higher amount of these nutrients. This is when you can use vitamin supplements for kids to support the requirements of your child.
- The diet is primarily vegetarian or vegan: There are some vital nutrients like Vitamin B12 that is available mostly through animal products like meat, dairy and eggs. If your child is unable to consume these foods because of dietary preferences, a vitamin supplement is necessary to fulfil his or her nutritional needs.
Why Choose Multivitamin Supplements
Vitamin supplements for kids have some benefits that make them useful as a part of your child’s diet:
- They are precise in their composition: Vitamin supplements for kids contain all the vital nutrients that children need. The daily required intake of each of these nutrients is carefully calculated to ensure that there is no over-consumption either. Just like deficiency causes health issues, overconsumption may also lead to problems. Therefore, these vitamin supplements for kids are safer because of their precise composition.
- They are convenient: With a multivitamin, you have a single, concentrated source of nourishment that you can give your child. Multivitamins can be carried with you anywhere and you can be assured that your little one is getting the daily required intake of vital vitamins and minerals:
- They are specially designed for children: These multivitamin supplements are age-specific. Since the nutritional requirements of adults and children are very different, it is necessary to choose a supplement that is specifically designed for children. Even with these vitamin supplements for children, you may have different formulas for different age groups, ensuring safe and adequate consumption.
Before you opt for any vitamin supplement for your child, make sure that you consult your paediatrician. Check for any allergens in the supplement to prevent any adverse or unwanted reactions.