Stretch marks also called “Stria” are the thin narrow long lines that appear on the skin. The protein called “Cologen”, is responsible for skin elasticity. If the skin stretches against the normal limit, then causes stretch marks. These are specially seen in women when they go through the period of pregnancy, sudden weight loss or gain. These basically appears on breast, thighs, under arms, stomach, hips. Basically stretch marks is not at all an health issue, but for the cosmetic lovers, yes, it does. (Read: Remedies for removing pregnancy stretch marks)
During the period of stretch marks, skin becomes thin and pale and often itchy too. This could be of different colors in red, pink, dark-brown, depending on the skin tone.
What causes Stretch Marks?
When there is a sudden weight gain or loss in the body, within short span of time.
90% woman face during pregnancy and puberty.
In men during gym or exercise, during toning the body, making arm excerise, stretches or push ups.
“Cortisol” is the stress hormone produced by adrenal glands which weakens elastic fiber in the skin.
Those who undergo breast enlargement surgery. (Read: Difference b/w red and white stretch marks)
Genetics may also play a role, if your parents or sister has stretch marks, then you also does.
The two syndromes in the body called ‘Marfan’ and ‘Cushing’ that deals with elasticity of the skin. People suffering from Marfan syndromes has decreased elasticity in skin whereas Cushing syndrome enhances the body to produce more hormones which leads to heavy weight gain and thus skin becomes fragile and delicate.
Can we get rid of stretch marks ?
Well there are no prescribed prevention for stretch marks, but certain care can be taken. These are not vanished instantly, but yes time consumes. It takes at least 6-12 months after pregnancy, to wipe off stretch marks.
- Keep your skin hydrated. drink lots of water at least 6-8 glasses. (Read: Remedies for Dark neck)
- Post pregnancy after 6-12 months stretch marks appears lighter.
- Add vitamin A, C, vitamin, Mineral, Zinc in your diet.
- Frequently massaging with coconut oil, olive oil, cocoa, butter oil, can make stretch marks looks lighter, but there is no particular study based on it.
- Skin laser treatments are also introduced but with side effects.
- Do not shut down weight/gain immediately. Follow a steady process.
Natural Home remedies for Stretch marks :
Sugar Scrub :
Sugar contains the Glycolic Acid in very small molecular size which penetrates the skin and helps in promoting and developing new skin cells. Through scrubbing, skin becomes soft and helps in blood circulation. (Read: Coffee Scrub For Glowing skin)
- 1 bowl.
- 1 cup of sugar.
- 1/4 cup of almond oil or coconut oil.
- 5 pinches of lemon juice.
Prep time : 15 mins.
- Take a bowl Pour cup of sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup of almond oil/coconut oil.
- Add lemon juice Mix it properly.
- Until it becomes scrub.
- Apply it on stretch marks and massage for 8-10 mins.
- Wash with warm water This process shall be done thrice a week.
Egg Lemon Mask :
- 1 bowl
- 2 egg yolks
- One lemon juice
- 2 tea spoons of almond paste
- 2 tea spoons of oatmeal Amount of milk for mixing. (Read: Remedies for dark eye circles)
Prep time : 15 mins
- Take a bowl Beat 2 egg yolks, lemon juice
- Add 2 tsp of oatmeal and almond paste
- Mix it with milk
- Let it soak for 15 mins
- Apply the paste on the stretch masks
- Leave it for 15 mins
- Wash off with luke warm water.
Aloe vera and vitamin capsules :
- Aloevera and vitamin A E capsules contains the skin tightening agents which removes dead skins as well.
- 1/2 alovera gel leaf. (Read: Benefits of eating guava leaves)
- Vitamin A 5 capsules.
- Vitamin E 10 casules 1 bowl.
Prep time : 10 mins.
- Take 1 bowl.
- Extract gel from 1/2 aloe vera leaf.
- Remove and pour vitamin A and E capsules into it.
- Mix it well Apply it and leave for 10 mins.
- Wash with luke warm water.
- 1 Apricot
Prep time : 10 mins
- Take an apricot. (Read: Benefits of eating apricots)
- Remove the seed and make the paste.
- Apply paste directly on the stretch marks for 20 mins.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Regular use may remove stretch marks.
Castor oil massage :
- Castor oil can be applied directly on the stretch marks. (Read: Benefits of vaseline)
- Take castor oil.
- Apply it for 15-20 mins.
- Cover a thin cloth on the streth marks.
- Take a heating pad, give some heat to the stretch marks.
- Do this once in a month for better results.
Vicks Vaporub :
- Well there is no scientific study that vicks vaporub works on stretch marks. But around world’s 60-80% depend on this product. This rub contains eucalyptus oil, cedar leaf oil, turpentine oil. Many of them have seen the changes in stretch marks after this application
- Apply vicks vaporub on stretch marks.
- Cover with thin cotton cloth.
- Leave it over night.
- This can be done every night.
Argan oil is the best option now every woman is opting for. Argan contains vitamin E,fatty acids which fight with thickest stretch marks. Argan oil is applied during period of pregnancy. It can be massaged daily twice, on the stomach. It maintains and regenerates elastin and collagen. It can be applied directly or applied with mixture of almond/rose oil.