Smooth and frizz-free hair is the dream of every woman who struggles to manage her hair on a daily basis. While various techniques and products are available, re-bonding and keratin treatment are two time-tested options used to alter the texture and appearance of hair. It is important to understand the differences, weigh their pros and cons, and opt for the option most suitable for your hair.
Re-bonding chemically alters the structure of your hair by using a relaxer to break down the natural bonds in your hair and then reform them into a straighter, smoother shape. On the other hand, keratin treatment uses a keratin protein solution to smooth and straighten the hair. Keratin treatment is considered a safer option of the two. Many stylists prefer Singapore Keratin treatment because it rejuvenates the natural protein in your hair strands rather than breaking the natural cell structure, as is done in re-bonding.
Here we will familiarize you with the entire process of Keratin treatment, its benefits, and side effects, precautions, and the best place to get it.
Often known as a Brazilian blowout, Keratin hair treatment is a semi-permanent styling solution lasting up to six months. However, the lasting time can vary depending on the type of treatment used and how well the hair is maintained. Keratin is a natural protein found in nails, hair, and skin. During the treatment, a coat of keratin protein solution is applied to the hair to fill in any gaps or damage in the hair cuticle. After the solution is evenly applied, heat is used to activate and lock into the hair. Stylists often use a flat iron to straighten the hair. Heat, in this case, acts as a bonding agent between the keratin protein and the hair. The process takes about 90 minutes or longer, depending on the length of the hair.
After the stylists have done their jobs, there are certain precautions you should take to make sure the treatment lasts as long as possible. The most important step is to avoid washing your hair for at least three days after the treatment. This will allow the keratin to absorb fully in the hair. Moreover, you must use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners as sulfate can strip the hair of keratin and natural oils. Saltwater and chlorinated water can also cause damage hence make sure you swim with a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair. It is also recommended to avoid tight styles and opt for heatless styling as much as possible for at least two weeks after the treatment.
Keratin hair treatment can benefit your hair in several ways. Some of the most popular benefits include the following:
- Smoothing and straightening: Keratin solution smooths the hair cuticle, making it less frizzy. It also straightens the hair and gives it a more natural smooth, and shiny look. For many hair types, a keratin treatment can reduce split ends by temporarily bonding the hair.
- Increased manageability: Many people with thick and curly hair opt for keratin treatment because it makes their hair more manageable. They don’t have to use hair styling tools such as curlers and heat irons to style their hair, which can make their hair healthy and strong.
- Reduced styling time: Frizz-free and smooth hair are easy to style. Hence, the styling time for thick and wavy hair can be considerably reduced.
- Protection from environmental damages: Environmental factors such as the sun and pollution can damage hair. But keratin treatment creates a protective layer on the hair.
- Suitable for all hair types: Keratin treatment can be done on all hair types, including curly, wavy, or straight hair, making it an option for a wide range of people. However, specialists always suggest researching properly and choosing a salon that has experience doing keratin treatment on your hair type.
Conversely, keratin hair treatment can also cause potential side effects. These include allergic reactions to the keratin solution, resulting in itching, redness, or swelling of the face or scalp. Certain chemicals added to the keratin could result in discoloration of the original hair or reduced growth in the future. There is much controversy around the use of formaldehyde in the keratin solution Formaldehyde is one of the crucial chemicals that makes the hair straighter. But it can be dangerous when inhaled. There are alternatives available that can be used instead of formaldehyde. Many salons are now opting for formaldehyde-free keratin solutions. These alternatives may not be as effective as formaldehyde, but the safety standards can’t be compromised. Note that these side effects are not common and can be mitigated if you opt for experienced stylists and a salon that has safety protocols in place.
Choosing a salon for keratin hair treatment can be time-consuming. However, you can speed up the process by considering the following factors:
- Experience and expertise of the stylist with different types of hair.
- High-quality products are added to the keratin solution.
- Convincing reviews from previous clients with before and after pictures.
- Consultation sessions with the stylist before the treatment.
Royal Hair Studio has all the qualities listed above. They not only pledge to make your hair look good but also keep it healthy. They endorse and carry hair products free of toxic agents and chemicals. Keratin hair treatment comes with its benefits and risks. However, following after-care suggestions, avoiding harmful chemicals, and choosing a professional hair salon in Singapore to make your keratin hair treatment as effective as possible.