Burns are the common household injuries which every one of us faces quiet commonly. When we touch too hot substances like hot water or oil, or when we are cooking, our skin gets burned and remains scar. This scar is not easy to go and requires a lot of time for the new skin to build up. When our skin gets burned, skin cells get burned in the deep layer and thus forms scars. Until new collagen is produced on the skin, a scar is not prevented fully.
Burnt scars are based on the degree of severity, the skin has burned.
First Degree Burn:
This is the first stage of burn, where the intensity is only rested to the outer layer of the skin which turns skin to red and can be healed within 6 days. No scars are left behind.
Second Degree Burn:
It damages both the outer layer and the inner layer(epidermis) of the skin. The severity of skin burn is quite serious, which turns skin to red, cause’s pain and blisters and takes 2-3 weeks to heal, leaving behind the scar.
This type of degree is the most severe one. It burns 2 layers of skin and effect bones, tendons and nerves too. It takes a long time to heal and scars turn into black or white.
How to treat scars?
- Burned scars have to be given first aid
- If the skin has burned, then rinse the burn with lukewarm or cool water
- Apply an antiseptic cream on the burnt skin
- If the burn is too severe then seek doctor advice
- Cover the skin with a bandage
- Never go out with open burns and get expose to UV rays.
- Never use ice cubes on the burn injuries, as it restricts blood flow and further damages skin tissue.
Home remedies for burn scars
1. Aloe vera:
Aloe vera comes in the first place, in soothing the burnt scars. It contains anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes skin, promotes blood circulation, produces collagen and thus forms new skin cells.
- Take an aloe vera leaf.
- Scoop out the gel and apply it raw on the burned skin
- It cures on the first and second layer skin burnt
- Apply the gel daily on the skin
2. Black tea bags:
Black tea contains tannic acid, which soothes the skin, relieves from the pain. It absorbs the pain and heat making less effective for the scar
- Take two tea bags
- Dipped them in hot water
- Let it get cool down
- Now place the wet tea bags on the affected area.
- Do this twice a day, to get instant relief
Honey is the natural antibiotic, which soothes skin, gets relieved from heat and burn and maintains pH balance of the skin. This is one of the oldest remedy used since from ages.
- Raw fresh honey is better to apply for better results. If taking container honey, see the ingredients which does not contain any harmful products which can harm the skin
Vinegar is an antiseptic and astringent, which helps from infection, caused due to burning. It contains a component of aspirin, called acetic acid, which helps from itching, pain and inflammation of burn. It absorbs the heat from the pain and gets relieved from it
- Take cotton swabs, dab vinegar on the burnt skin
- Dilute paper with soaked vinegar and apply as a soothing compress
Oats contain anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes skin from burn and scar as well. It heals the skin and reduces the itchiness quite effectively
- Just soak oats on milk for 15 min
- Apply a thin layer on the skin
6. Vitamin E:
Vitamin E is the antioxidants, which protects, heals and repairs the skin. It helps in producing collagen and new skin cells. It removes the scars easily
- Apply vitamin E capsule directly on the scar daily.
- It repairs and heals the skin.
7. Coconut oil:
Coconut oil contains vitamin E, which heals and removes the scar permanently. The burned skin after getting healed remains as scar, as this scar can be perfectly healed with coconut oil. Oil contains anti-bacterial properties which help from infection, while lemon contains acidic properties, which lightens the scars.
- Take two tbsp of coconut oil
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice
- Mix the solution and apply on the scar
8. Mint toothpaste:
This is being used by many of them, that right after the burn, we apply mint toothpaste. Due to the minty affect, burns will get soothed and heeled easily
- Apply toothpaste on the affected area
- Let it dry for 20 min and wash off
If the severity of burns and its scars increases, then approach your doctor or dermatologists as soon as possible. Never neglect the burnt skin or scar which left behind.